I’ve noticed that quite a few people recommend The Hidden Wiki as a “starting point” for using Tor.
While it does have some good general information about Tor (and darknets in general), most of the links that it features are scams – at least the financial ones, or anything that you would have to pay money to use. Though I don’t suggest using it, I’ll link to it anyway, just so you can see what I mean: http://zqktlwi4fecvo6ri.onion
This probably goes without saying for people who have been using Tor for a reasonable amount of time, but for those new to the dark web, it seems like a lure to ensnare people unfamiliar with it.
Granted, some of the links are innocuous – you’ll see things like the search engines, and some of the “library sites” like the Imperial Library of Trantor. On the other hand, there are quite a few sites that promise things like “bitcoin doubling,” “free drugs,” etc. – these are all scams.
So…if you don’t use the Hidden Wiki, what should you use?
Well, as I’d mentioned in several earlier posts, there are a few Tor search engines that are good:
- http://hss3uro2hsxfogfq.onion/ – not Evil – the premier search engine of Tor
- http://gjobqjj7wyczbqie.onion/ – Candle
- http://mysydqstlz2kzerdg.onion/ – Ahmia
- http://xmh57jrzrnw6insl.onion/ – TORCH
- http://grams7enufi7jmdl.onion/ – Grams
- http://bznjtqphs2lp4xdd.onion/ – Dark Web Links
Besides these search engines, there are other link lists you can find, one of which I also mentioned in my earlier post, Fresh Onions: Best Tor Link List?:
- http://zlal32teyptf4tvi.onion/ – Fresh Onions
- http://jdpskjmgy6kk4urv.onion – Welcome to Dark Web Links and More
- http://torlinkbgs6aabns.onion/ – Tor Links
- http://linkskgiymtyszdb.onion/ – LINKS Onion Link Directory
- http://onions.system33.pw – All Onion Services (every single possible Tor site – not all are online, though)
Of course, these sites, too, may have scam links on them, but they’re at least mixed in with other things. And for whatever reason, I also find them to be more interesting than the Hidden Wiki – whether that’s because they have better links, or just look creepier, I can’t say. Nevertheless, I have found a lot of the interesting sites I discuss on these alternate link sites and search engines.
Besides these, if you’re just looking for a group of people on the clearnet who hunt down onion links like you do, I’d suggest the subreddit /r/onions: Things That Make You Cry. They’re a pretty cool group of folks.
As for me, I’ll make an effort to include more onion sites in some of my future posts. Have fun checking out some of the ones I’ve shared here, in the meantime!